Sunday, September 16, 2012

v&a

Yesterday, I had no classes. When this would occur at school in Boston, my day off would consist of lounging around, maybe a little gym action (probably not), and laundry (even less likely).

But here in London, it physically sickens me to spend a whole day at least not exploring the city a little! Its the most amazing place I have ever been, and I'm already trying to finagle a way so I can move back as soon as humanly possible.

But I digress.

Yesterday I took a trip to the Victoria and Albert Museum, we left after about two hours, but I swear to you I could have spent my whole day there! While moseying around the different exhibits, we came across an East Asian history wing. There, I saw necklaces and bangles that could be sold in any store today and sell out instantly.

From that point on, I decided to play a game; how many current fashion trends can I spot in this museum?

The rules are simple; simply go into exhibits with an open mind, rather than a mind that is simply on the time period or location of that exhibit. And that's just what I did!


This is one of the necklaces in the East Asian room, its from the 15th century, but I believe that the collar necklace trend is of the 21st century.

We then moved into the fashion exhibits. It was essentially a worldly view on fashion through the ages, beginning with the late 19th, early 20th century. It was in this exhibit that it was plain to see how fashion is recycled, reused, and is on a continuous loop.


The collar trend continued to appear, this time in lace.


And this would be approximately THE worst picture, but it happens to be the only image I captured to illustrate the blazer that I would most definitely buy today, but happens to be from the 1860's.





Now, although this is something that I don't believe is EXACTLY "in" at the moment, I couldn't help but see the parallels from the Marc Jacobs show last week! (If you missed that, read my post on it here!)


Granted, this is only from the 1960's, but this peter pan collar is inescapable today. Collars are something that must have been ignored until recently, as now they are getting more and more adorned. 


Peplum jacket! Dress? In any event, this is another trend that has recently resurfaced. Not to mention that the skirt has a little bit of chevron, a.k.a my favorite pattern of the moment!


This isn't exactly in the game I was playing, as no real trend is playing a role here, but I just thought this necklace was BAD. ASS. Those 15th century East Asians knew how to make killer accessories!

That's all the nerdy museum commentary you need for today! Bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment